Re: [EK] Re:native american persona?

Poster: "Stephanie M. Thorson" <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997 TismanBRos@aol.com wrote:

> Let me begin by offering an appology.  I have recently found that the charter
> does incorporate itself around the western european culture.  I also realize
> that the predominant portion of members follow the practice of such cultures.
>  I am just a little unclear on why this is...
> I know that the major portion of members are of european descent.  Were the
> charter members of the SCA of nationalities or descents of other cultures?
>  What I mean is, did they think that perhaps one day someone that was of
> african, asian, north or south american lineage (and wanted to research and
> practice their ancestral customs) would come along and automatically persue
> the practices of europeans, just because they think there are no other
> options?

<large SNIP>

I think the reason why is probably fairly simple, and it isn't lack of
interest or closed-mindedness, either.  The SCA can't be all things to all
people and still maintain standards of quality.  Our chances of doing good
research, educating the public about our period and having fun *as a
group* doing it are better if we limit our scope to European culture and
the societies (Mongol, Middle Eastern, etc) which had an impact on Europe.
I don't have a problem with non-European personas so long as they are done
well, but I do think that the society guidelines (about dates and
geographic scope) are better followed than ignored.  If the SCA doesn't
happen to provide the kind of game "you" (meaning whoever) want to play,
then you'll probably have a better time playing a different one, rather
than trying to make your idea of the game fit the SCA.  If you want to
play football, don't go to the baseball diamond.  :) The SCA is not the
only re-creation/re-enactment group out there, and if it turns out that
you can't find a group that suits you, maybe you and some like-minded
friends should start your own.  The SCA doesn't have a monopoly on this
kind of game, after all.

Alianora
(crawling under the table with Corun, who has some explaining to do about
why he's under there with Ursula)