Re: Period after the Rmon Empire?

Poster: Dick Eney <dickeney@access.digex.net>

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Neil Maclay <nmaclay@psi.prc.com> wrote:

> Miri wrote:
> >As I recall years ago we used to say something about the Fall of the Roman
> >Empire as the beginning point...I don't recall where that came from, though...
>
> And I thought that the Roman Empire lasted until 1453 when
> the Turks finished it off. This would give use less than
> 150 years to play in.

IIRC the "fall of Rome" bit was from the time the actual City of Rome was
invaded in 410 AD.  The theory was that Rome no longer counted as an
effective empire when they couldn't protect their capital city, therefore
the Dark Ages essentially began then.  The Holy Roman Empire, by using
that name, admitted that they were not the actual Roman Empire any more.

=Tamar the Gypsy (sharing account dickeney@access.digex.net)