Re: native American personas (fwd)

Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>

Tisman wrote:

> Take this as you will...  several of the nations that I have had contact with
> have "artifacts" that have been handed down through the centuries.  One of my
> friends from around the Canadian side of Niagra Falls had something that I
> really was interested in.  He claimed that it spawned from his 5 generations
> past grandfather (I can't tell you either way, but...).  Interestingly enough
> it was a wonderful pendant of sorts, although larger than any I have seen
> worn.
> The point is, it was a wonderful likeness of Mjolnirr (to those of you not
> Norse inclined, that's Thorr's hammer...) with runes written on it.
>  Interpretted, it held thurizaz (the rune of Thorr and Mjolnirr known for its
> masculine traits) by itself, underneath roughly interpreted "protect me
> always"...
> Coincedence?

That depends. Is your Canadian friend of Scandinavian descent or is he of
Native Canadian Indian descent. It makes a great deal of difference. One
cannot take a family heirloom and say it is an artifact of a native Indian
culture that had had contact with Vikings 1000 or more years ago. You have
not produced any hard evidence that the heirloom existed beyond those five
generations. It could easily have been a gift to that Great^5 grandparent
from someone of Norse extraction. You haven't conveyed any history beyond
that it's been in the family for five generations.

So, without further research (and this is the stuff that can start a
dissertation if it starts to pan out), one can only say yes, it is a
coincidence.

In service,
Corun

--
     Corun MacAnndra   |   Dark Horde by birth   |   Moritu by choice
Though we are not now that strength, which in old days moved earth and heaven,