RE: [MR] old Buckinghams song

Poster: PETERSR@spiegel.becltd.com (Peters, Rise J.)

Alfredo asks:

>>Has there been any time
>>in the history of Costume that women's clothes were more convenient
>>than men's clothes of the same milieu?  I can't think of any examples.

Well, that depends ... convenient for =doing what=?  As a woman who has worn
both pants and skirts to do most tasks, I'd say that women's "peasant
clothes" tend to be perfectly convenient for working in, because the skirts
are full enough not to be restrictive.  And skirts in general (setting aside
the issue of hoops, etc.) are much more comfortable for sitting for long
period of time than pants are.  Masculine and feminine styles best
accomodate their respective sexes' bathroom habits.  Chemises and bodices
are much more convenient for breastfeeding than virtually any style of male
clothing.  And so on.... it depends on what tasks those wearing the clothing
expect to face.

 -- Alfredo