Re: Pledge of Allegiance

Poster: "Heather Swann" <swannh@psi.com>

 Alys of Foxdale wrote:
> Miriam Rachel bat Mordecai said:
>
> [Alfredo and Alys wrote about the way the Pledge of Allegiance is
> pretty meaningless to children when the words are first taught to them.]
>
> > Sorry to hear it was meaningless to y'all.....it always held
> > deep meaning for me as a child, but then I grew up in Texas, so
> > maybe things were different in the way we were taught about it.
> > Miri (the REAL Miriam this month)
>
> Miri, I have always highly respected your intelligence -- if you were
> able fully to comprehend the Pledge of Allegiance at age 6, I must add
> to that respect!

Because Texas started as a Republic, I was taught at a very early age what
those words meant.  I wasn't taught to merely memorize them, but to think
about them when I said them.

> When the words are taught in first grade or so, they hold less than
> no meaning to the children who learn them.  Most children simply do
> not have the capacity to understand abstracts like that until much
> later.
> In fact, most children do not even have many of those words in
> their vocabularies yet!

I'm not surprised considering what a friend recently told me about the
educational system and what I learned about it through my aunt who was an
English teacher.  Apparently, I received an exceptional education.

> But once they have matured enough to understand what the words mean,
> the Pledge is well and truly memorized and can be contemplated in depth.
>
> And someone also wrote to me privately:
>
> > If this pledge holds no meaning for you, why are you still in the
> > United States?
>
> You have completely missed the point!  Just because someone avers
> he didn't understand something as a child does not mean he
> doesn't understand as an adult.
>
> For that matter, why on earth would anyone leave the country just
> because he didn't understand the Pledge of Allegiance?  That would only
> be an obvious thing to do if one both understood and *disagreed* with
> the Pledge!

Well put as usual, Alys!

>    Alys of Foxdale

Miri