Re: Princes

Poster: Lance Harrop <lharrop@mrj.com>

Earl Dafydd, you mention,

> Just for the purposes of debate, it seems to me that SCA Principalities
> are closer to Medieval Duchies than anything else.  And in some cases
> (Burgundy in the 14th and 15th centuries) a Duchy could be a very vital
> and powerful entity.

True, and if we could adopt Duke Cariadoc's suggestion about counties and
duchies, we wouldn't need principalities.

	[Cariadoc suggested that we group three or four local groups into
	 counties and duchies to be headed by our Royal peers.  Check out
	 Gregory Blount's web site for His Grace's Miscellanie.]

And France, in the late middle ages, was composed of a lot of Big
Duchies, and the Ilse de France, the royal lands around Paris, which wasn't
larger then most Duchies.

In Service
Leifr Johansson