Re: Princes

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

> Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

> The idea of a Principality as a subunit of a Kingdom is not common in the
> real middle ages.  Just about the only one I can think of is Wales, and it
> was a conquered subunit.  Since it had a Prince before Longshanks finally
> subdued it for (more-or-less) good, it was natural enough that Longshanks
> established his claim to the title of ruler of the subunit (in this case,
> through his son).

Actually, I can think of Aquitaine, which was considered a
principality until the 1100's, and several Furstdoms and
Kuhrfurstdoms in the Holy Roman Empire, which, until the death of
Frederick II (Stupor Mundi) wasn't just a paper tiger.

Pedro de Alcazar, AoA
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Pursuivant Extraordinary and Junior Minion
Or, six Castles Vert within a Bordure Gules semy of Roundels Or

--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com