Re: Regional event planning

Poster: Lance Harrop <lharrop@mrj.com>

Lady Mordrea, you wrote:

> If there is a conflict problem with an event, be it Northern or Central or
> Southern, it is the fault of the autocrats for NOT stating that there COULD NOT
> be an event within 150 miles of their event when they registered it. The
> current Kingdom Chronicler, who is doing a very FINE job, is using the system
> put into place when I was the Kingdom Chronciler. Another deputy position just
> for the gratification of one part of the Kingdom is not necessary...
> communication and using the system already in place is!

In this I think you are absolutely correct.  Lord Rabah and his
predecessor Lady Ann E. have been doing an excellent job of handling
events.  Nor do I believe there needs to be a deputy created by them and
the kingdom which would be little more then a sinecure.

However, none of that deals with Master Malcolm's complaint, which is
that the Seneschals of the northern groups are allowing competing events
to fall against each other on the calendar.

I don't think it would be appropriate for the Kingdom or the GOofS to
create a position and endow it with the power to determine the events
calendar for the North (South or Central, for that matter).  The Kingdom
Chronicler doesn't really have that power right now, and it would be
inappropriate, as well as terribly unpopular, for him to try to assume it.

The Seneschals and Landed Baronages of the local groups, on the other
hand, do have it within their authority to work together to coordinate
their events.  And if they create a position answerable to them as a
body, and subscribe to rules of event scheduling which they find mutually
beneficial, then that would be appropriate.

Now I know that some individuals may now jump up and say this is
incorrect.  And their arguments would likely boil down to one of two
points.  Either their argument would be that no such position could be
created except by the authority of the Society/Crown/GOofS/Curia, take
you pick.  But none of these institutions currently have the power to
tell a local group when they may hold events, or must hold events, or
what kind of events to hold.  Since that authority does not reside in
these higher bodies, they cannot delegate it.

..Or, their argument would be that such restrictions can not be forced
on local groups.  But as what I propose would be voluntary, and the local
groups through their seneschals and baronages could opt in or out as they
wished, that argument would not stand either.  It is, after all, the
seneschals who are the local representation of the SCA's legal authority,
and who control the assignment of events and access to insurance coverage
through the Society.  If you don't have the seneschal's blessing to hold
an event within his/her territory, you do not have insurance protection
for that event, and the autocrat would be liable for any accidents which
might occur.  So, as the authority to decide if and when and what kind of
event will happen resides with the Seneschal and baronage (depending on
their relationship), obviously they have the authority, and can delegate
it to a coordinator answerable to them.

Whether this would be advantageous, is subject for discussion.

Leifr Johansson