Re: Awards and stuff

Poster: blackbow@sprynet.com

On Sat, 12 Apr 1997, David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.UMD.EDU> wrote:

>Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>
>

>Dafydd ap Gwystl greets Cheapsiders and Rosies;
>
>A number of people have posted at length about shire awards or how they
>have been told such things cannot exist, and ways to get around the
>heraldic rules regarding such things.

[massive snippage (how about "choppage?" ;>)
>So let us talk about how to create or increase the respect/honour/impact
>of a gift/award/order/badge/attaboy, not whether or not such things can be
>registered with the heralds, or even whether or not such things hold any
>precedence.
>

>Dafydd ap Gwystl

[See, I told you the Ancient Ones would have an answer. ;>]

Anyway...

IMO, Dafydd's right.  I definitely didn't start this thread to see how many
Clever and Devious people we had...there are plenty of those.  What the real
problem is , is how to recognize individuals in shires or other geographic
locations where Direct Crown Representation doesn't make it a Kingdom-wide
thing.

Either 1) give shires the power to hand out "baronial" awards (maybe that's why
there aren't any shire-level awards...too hard to say "Shireal"...)

or 2) figure out a way for shire awards to mean something.  This is best
accomplished by making sure that shires talk up their contributing members!  Go
figure.  Of course, they not only have to talk up their contributing members,
they have to do it to the people who matter...who are all outside the shire WHEN
IT COMES TO RAISING THE AWARENESS OF THE REST OF THE KINGDOM, and not when it
comes to whether the person in question is worthy of notice or not.  So no
flaming me because I think the only people that matter are the ones outside the
shire.

Fact is, getting recognition for your local group is a marketing problem in its
simplest form.  So talk to your local salespeople...

Moving right along,

Ld. Jonathan Blackbow
House O'Shannon