Re: CAMBOK at Emerald Joust!

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Evan Randall Page wrote:

> Greetings all! This is my first post to the Merry Rose!
> I was wondering if anyone was aware of how CAMBOK is going to be played
> in a tourney at Emerald Joust? More rules? Everyone IS going to bring
> thier CAMBOK sticks, RIGHT???

Dafydd ap Gwystl, University of Atlantia Varsity Cambok Dude
and High Comptroller of Cambok at Emerald Joust, sends
Greetings to Cheapside, where the Cambok players roam rowdy!

Cambok at Emerald Joust will be run as always, in the ancient and hallowed
traditional way.  The wording of "tournament" as applied to the Cambok at
Emerald Joust was a miscommunication.  There will be no teams, no scoring,
but hopefully as much chaos and energy as a proper ball game can create.
We will attempt to live up to the high standards of past Emerald Joust
Cambok games, including the unforgettable six-hour slime game in the cold
rain.

Nobody who witnessed it could ever forget the steam rising from the packed
bodies in the scrums, the screaming, much of it coming from the
gap-mouthed spectators huddled in the pavilions beside the field when the
'Bokkers attempted to play through.  It will always be the memory I most
treasure of Kane, seeing him in that game, filthy-splattered with mud,
switching sides only often enough to keep everyone confused.  I hope he
has his triple-XL University of Atlantia Varsity Cambok T-shirt wherever
he is now.

That is the high ideal we must live up to.  And hopefully on the lower
field we won't unnecessarily vex Ranger John by trashing his parade field
as we did that day :^)

Dafydd ap Gwystl, maudlin 'bokker

Meus Sanguis Camboki Fervet!
(Tuus Cruor Camboki Ex Naso Iactet)