Re: Awards

Poster: "Chuck Graves" <Chuck_Graves@mmacmail.jccbi.gov>

Dafydd asks (rhetorically, of course),

>What does the Pearl mean, if you live in Ansteorra?

That's easy...it means you keep explaining that really neat piece of
jewelry around your neck.  When you're in the SCA (and folks know you hail
from somewhere else), they ask.  It's a great lead in for showing them
what you do.  It's really great fun for a brewer.

But, alas, his points are quite true.  We participate in a society...and
when you cross the borders of a new kingdom, you have entered a new
society.  You also find that one's reputation is not as transportable as
one's household goods.

For my own part, I disagree to a point with His Excellency.  I do not
believe the impact of an order is reduced because it is not recognized in
foreign lands.  An Atlantian award is given for action and service in
Atlantia--nothing reduces that recognition to me.  Though very few here
recognize it, I do and I cherish the people who bestowed it upon me.

That is not to say that Dafydd's words are not all too true.  Surely, an
Atlantian award not respected by Atlantians is a sad thing indeed.  But
his words are most true with regard to praise.  The praise of someone you
hold in esteem is the greatest treasure we have--and it rarely has some
trinket to mark it save our fond memory.

There is one last point I would make.  I do not believe that there is any
corner of the Known World where a gift from His Excellency would be viewed
with anything but praise.  You are one of the truly gifted who could strip
every piece of regalia from his person and be recognized for the Master
you are--box, chair, card, coin, or wrap shot.  Any and all would be
recognized in any part of our greater Society.

Official Orders are certainly not a cure-all.  They serve their purpose
and they carry their price.  I believe one of Dafydd's points is to
consider both sides of the coin--and he knows more about coins than anyone
I've yet met.  8^)

Well, the kitchen is almost unpacked...I can almost brew again.  Time to
start building a "new" reputation.

Regards,
Tadhg

ps. is it pennsic yet?