Re: coat of arms necessary vs required

Poster: Thomas Hudson <hudson@cs.unc.edu>

To throw another point into the fray:

  Lord Hreodbeorht,

    You state as zealously that your side is true and Tibor's is false,
as he does his own.  But was there truly a single practice throughout
period?

  In the "Thames and Hudson Dictionary of the Italian Renaissance"
(ISBN et al. available upon request), the senior editor under his own
initials states that impresa (Italian heraldry of the late Renaissance)
were assumed by individuals as they saw fit.  I'm attempting to find the
sources for his assertion, although it may be original with him.  One
would then not necessarily "determine [arms one wishes to assume] were not
in conflict with other known arms";  although one might be careful
not to impersonate those of the local authorities or persons one
respected, one could certainly imitate them.

  There are cultures in period where it is perhaps *inappropriate*
for one to register one's heraldry.  A central heraldic authority?
In ITALY?

  The first heraldically-decorated item I ever made bore a badge of
my own devising;  when I replace it and make more, they will be likewise.
I should be a fool to take the arms of His Majesty or Her Excellency in
these lands where I now live, but those arms do not suit me anyway.

  (It's not as if I could display my impresa anywhere about my person
in public, what with the dress codes of the Senate, but perhaps I could
have a painter limn them in the lower hall of the palazzo, among the
family's shields and war trophies that we, being old-fashioned, still
hang there.)

Giovan Donato Falconieri
Kappellenberg, Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia:  OCFA - LFET