Known World Heraldic Symposium Event Announcement

Poster: "Eric Stoever" <herald@msn.com>

Good Gentles - please post the following event announcement to your Home Page.
 We are hoping to get a good attendance from the folks in Atlantia, and
believe that your posting will assist people interested in attending.  If you
have any questions, please feel free to e-mail us back.  Many thanks!

Don Eric Brehattin and Dona Teresa Gabriela de Montoya y Sevilla

Calling all Heralds, Pursuivants, and gentles interested in the Heraldic Arts!
 This year's Known World Heraldic Symposium will be held in the Principality
of Aethelmearc, in the industrious Barony of Thescorre (Rochester, NY), which
is currently in the Kingdom of the East.   The dates are June 20-22, 1997 and
the site is the MarketPlace Inn, 800 Jefferson Road, Rochester, NY, 14623.
Don Eric Brehattin and Doqa Teresa Gabriela de Montoya y Sevilla are the
Autocrats. Four tracks of six classes will be offered on all aspects of the
heraldic arts.  These will appeal to the newly rostered pursuivant, the very
senior herald, or anyone interested in learning more about the heraldic arts.
As an added bonus, a track of Master Classes in the scribal arts will be
offered for those interested in studying calligraphy and illumination from
some of the best scribes in the East.

Hotel check in and registration can take place at your convenience.  The Troll
will officially open at 5:00 p.m. Friday evening.  A reception will be held
that evening, with hors d'oeuvres served between 7-8:30.  A cash bar is
available in the hotel's restaurant/brew pub, The Shannon Pub, which serves
some of the finest home-brewed beers, ales and lagers this side of Master
Corwin of Darkwater's manors!

There are plenty of eating establishments in close proximity to the hotel,
ranging from fast food to fine dining.  Free shuttle service from the
Rochester International Airport to the MarketPlace Inn is available.  Our
community is very comfortable seeing Society members in garb, and the hotel is
very excited about our bringing a Medieval flair to their establishment for
the weekend.

Classes will begin on Saturday morning at 9:30 a.m.  Three sessions will be
held in the morning, and three sessions in the afternoon, with a 90 minute
break for lunch.  Lunch is not included in the cost of the event.  The feast
will start at 7:30 p.m.  It will consist of chicken tortellini soup
(vegetarian alternative available with prior arrangement), salat of greens,
homemade breads,  and your choice of one of the following:  Irish Lamb Stew,
Chicken and Mushroom Pie, Marinated Beef Tips with vegetables and rice,
Broiled Haddock, or a Vegetarian Pasta entree.  A sotelty of cakes of carrots
or that New World treat, chocolate, will conclude the meal with kaffee or tea.
 There will be a cash bar in the feast hall.  We will have dancing in the hall
after the feast, or you may wish to go out to the Shannon Pub and enjoy the
live performances of Irish/Celtic music.

On Sunday morning Mistress Jaelle of Armida, Laurel Queen of Arms, will hold
the traditional "Road Show" Laurel meeting.  All are welcome to attend.  The
site will officially close at the conclusion of the Laurel Meeting or no later
than 2:00 p.m. Sunday, whichever comes first.

Event costs are as follows:  Site Fee:  $14.00.  Feast Fee:  $26.00.  The
deadline is June 10, 1997 for feast reservations.  The only real reservation
is a paid reservation.  Please mail in your choice of entree along with your
feast and site fee (totaling $40.00) to Don Eric Brehattin (Eric Stoever), 149
Jeffords Road, Rush, NY, 14543-9725.  If you would like a written
confirmation, information on area attractions, or anything else mailed to you,
please include an SASE with your reservation.  Feel free to phone (716)
533-1077 [before 10 p.m. please] or e-mail "herald@msn.com" with any questions
you may have.  Make checks payable to SCA Inc.,Barony of Thescorre.

If you would like to teach a class, please contact the Registrar, Meistari
Fridrikr Tomasson av Knusslig Hamm (Tom Ireland-Delfs) at (315) 331-3788, 731
S. Main Street, Newark, NY, 14513, e-mail:  Fridrikr@redsuspenders.com.
Please visit the Known World Heraldic Symposium Web Page
(http://web.syr.edu/~ajbiel/kwhs.html) for regular updates to the class and
event schedule.  Questions concerning the scribal classes should be directed
to Lady Alicia Langland (Della Hutchison) at (717) 523-7534 [before 11 p.m.
please], 511 North Tenth Street, Lewisburg, PA, 17837, e-mail:
hutchnsn@bucknell.edu.

Hotel Room Rental:  The MarketPlace Inn is an established hotel in the area
and is very customer-service oriented.  We have secured a special rate of
$62.00 per night for up to 4 people in a room.  Call 800-888-8102 and ask for
the SCA room discount for the Heraldic Symposium.  Non-smoking, smoking, and
handicapped facilities are available.  The hotel has a swimming pool.  Other
recreational activities (shopping, sports, movie theaters, etc.) are extremely
accessible.

Directions by Air:  Fly into the Greater Rochester International Airport and
either rent a car and follow from ** below or call the hotel for the free
shuttle service.  Just dial 800-888-8102 from any pay phone at the airport and
they will come and pick you up (it's no more than a 10 minute drive from the
hotel to the airport).

Directions by Car:  Take your best route to the NYS Thruway (I-90) to exit 46
(I-390).  Take I-390 North to exit 14 - East Henrietta Road/Jefferson Road.
Turn left at the top of the exit ramp onto E. Henrietta Road.  Stay in the
left lane and turn left at the next light, which is Jefferson Road (Route 252)
- a major intersection.  *The hotel is on the right hand side, just after the
big blue and white sign that says "Genesee Regional Market." The MarketPlace
Inn's sign is also very prominent.

**By Car from the Airport:  When you exit the airport, stay in the very right
hand lane, and immediately after you turn onto the main road (Chili Ave.) is
the entrance ramp to I-390 South.  Take I-390 South to the East Henrietta Road
(Route 15A) exit and turn right at the top of the long exit ramp (it's an
access road, really).  You are on East Henrietta Road.  Travel a short
distance to Jefferson Road, staying in the right hand lane.  Turn right onto
Jefferson Road, which is the first four way intersection (major intersection)
you come to.  The MarketPlace Inn is just up the road on the right hand side -
see * above.

PROCEEDINGS:  All interested parties may submit articles for the proceedings
whether or not they attend and/or teach at the Symposium.  Please submit
articles in electronic format (diskette or e-mail) to the autocrat, Don Eric
Brehattin, at the address and e-mail listed above, no later than June 4, 1997.