Internet Message

Poster: Annejke@prodigy.com (MS MARTHA L WALLENHORST)

> Just a quick "Here, here" to that! Can I be bloody tired of the
focus on
> Italy too?

Absolutely.  :)  Welcome to the Northern Europe Fan Club.

> The Flemish artists tried to replicate nature a full century before
the
> Italians-- perfect perspective isn't everything.

The Flemish artists also developed oil paints and were using them a
full
century before the Italians, who kept using egg tempera. Speaking as
both
a cranky medievalist <tm> and someone who's done her time in the
painting
studios, I'll take that Flemish innovation over the old-fashioned
tempera
any day.  Oils are much easier to manipulate.

Alianora

This is exactly why I went Dutch.  The Dutch did all kinds of things
first.  I am always told that my costumes are wrong, that the English
or French didn't have that style until post period.  I smie and say
the Dutch did and pull out my docs.  I got tired of egg tempra in
college and only teach it now when the curreculum demands it.  I feel
the frozen north (outside of viking culture) is entirely to ignored.

Annejke