RE: FW: May Laurel Acceptances and Returns

Poster: E L Wimett <SILVERDRAGON@Charleston.Net>

>Poster: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace@acm.org>
>
> I think they should have a space for the baronial herald to put his version
> of the proper blazon.And use the picture at triton level as more of a loose
> reference instead of such an important one.That also saves heralds from
> mistakes on the final blazon.I think that would make much more sense then
> having to guess the elements on a device submission shield picture.Since
> most  of the time the baronial herald looks at all submissions most of the
> time if not all the time and they have a space on the form that says
> consulting herald:) Just a thought when the next victim err... herald
> revises all the herald handbook stuff.

There is a place for the consulting herald to put the suggested blazon.  It's on the cover sheet with the name info, etc.

However, there is a problem with using the picture as a "loose reference" in kingdom.

By long tradition (to earliest days of Society heraldry), we register the emblazon (i.e., the picture) not the blazon (i.e., the verbal description).

The College of Arms has to assume that the submitter has signed off on the way the armory looks.  If the picture is so unclear that it is not obvious what the beastie is, the assumption is that that is the way the submitter wants it.  Where a charge is poorly drawn but identifiable, Laurel will usually register it (possibly with notes on the proper depiction, particularly for ordinaries and lines of division).  Where the depiction is so poor that it leaves doubt in the minds of the college that the charge would be identifiable were it actually copied onto tabards, shields, etc. from the picture, Laurel may return it for a redraw or redesign.  This latter has been done more under some recent Laurels than it was in the '80's, but has been done in extreme cases from the early '70's.

And in this case I would have been in doubt as to whether this was meant to be a cow or a goat, based on the mini-emblazon I saw. . .

Alisoun (quondam Laurel)
İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİRst Archives, FAQ, FTP:  http://sca.wayfarer.org/merryrose/