Re: Terms of address

Poster: Dick Eney <dickeney@access.digex.net>

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Ed Hopkins wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but
>
> "Prowess" refers to the front of a ship.

Consider yourself corrected.

> The feminine form of "Sir" is "Domina".

"Domina" is the feminine of "dominus".  The _equivalent_ of English "Sir"
is "Dame", or so my manual of address forms says (I tell you, this State
Department Style Book covers _every_thing!).  Unfortunately the first lady
knight of the SCA elected to receive the style "Sir", and so it has been
ever since, which is why we address a certain handsome lady from No'th
Ca'lina as "Sir Fern".

|---------Master Vuong Manh, C.P., Storvik, Atlantia---------|
|Now, let's stop and think: how would Bugs Bunny handle this?|
|----------------(dickeney@access.digex.net)-----------------|