Re: Terms of address

Poster: Dave Montuori <damont@wolfstar.com>

Scripsit Alfredus:

> > The feminine form of "Sir" is "Domina".

Then, on Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Michael S. McCollum wrote:

> Also, to the best of my swiss cheese memory, "Dame" is the feminine form
> of address for a member of the Chivalry in the SCA, though some choose
> to style themselves as "Sir". I believe "Domina" could refer to any
> woman in latin.

Standard joke from my early days as a herald:
Q. What do you call a female knight?
A. Annnnythinnnng she wants.

"Domina" translates best to "Lady" which would lend itself to use by
anyone with AoA or above in an SCA context.

A former Laurel King of Arms did a survey of female Knights; if they used
a knightly title at all the overwhelming majority used "Sir." Based on
that result among other factors, Laurel authorized "Dame" for use by *ANY*
female peer, no matter what order, some time back.

Evan