Re: Terms of address

Poster: Dick Eney <dickeney@access.digex.net>

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997 MHWag@aol.com wrote:

> Alfredo, please please please tell me that you meant to say "test" not
> "taste."

'Tweren't him.  'Twere me.  My lady wife was surprised to find me using
that verb too, but it is true that fighters of the Renaissance used
expressions like "give the Dons a taste of our quality" or, when being
extra polite to a potential foe, to pray for a taste of zir prowess rather
than say something like "let's you 'n' me fight!"

> As a lady stickjock, I think such a request would lead to a sudden
> improvement in the force of my snaps. On the other hand, I might be laughing
> too hard to fight.

Possibly the latter.  I know that when I tried it on Countess Ianthe she
replied, "surely; I've always wanted to taste Gold Coin Chicken!"  (My CB
handle, from the fact that I was the Chancellor of the Exchequer and a
mediocre, but dutiful, fighter.)

|---------Master Vuong Manh, C.P., Storvik, Atlantia---------|
|Now, let's stop and think: how would Bugs Bunny handle this?|
|----------------(dickeney@access.digex.net)-----------------|