Re: Belt & Chain - Lyrics & Folk Process

Poster: Will Ritchie <ritchie@freenet.tlh.fl.us>

On Sat, 7 Jun 1997 mn13189@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU wrote:

> I think it is very interesting to see these original lyrics and then
> compare them to the ones more commonly sung in Atlantia.  The differences
> are slight, but they are there, and by changing a few words (word=worth,
> serve=best, for instance) whole new meanings emerge.  It's great to see
> the folk process at work, to watch a people make a song their own,
> conciously or unconsciously.
> Aye,
> Eogan

Perhaps, but I suspect that simple "data corruption" is more the culprit,
as it probably was in period 99% of the time.  I would hope the Society as
a culture continues to honor their bards and respect their works, not
to mention adherence to the Berne Convention on copyrights, at least for
their own.

Case in point, though I've written my share of filk songs, I hold to two
measures of respect:  I have never filked a Society member's work without
permission (taboo in Trimaris), and I have never demeaned a song known to
bring tears or treasured by others (The Great Silky, for example) by using
its melody for another set of lyrics, humorous or not.  (Personally, I
only "filk" for humorous songs, but that's just me.)  OTOH, if _Pox on
You_(period) or _Mack the Knife_(duh) brings a tear to your eye, you'd
better let me know.

Both of these were entirely period practices, as were plagiarism and
trademark counterfeiting.  Still, I think the New Middle Ages should set
them aside, just as we have done with bear-baiting and religious
persecution.  As is evidenced by the Orders of the Pelican and Laurel, our
officers and artisans merit the same respect given to period aristocracy.

Morric
Trimaris