Re: June Kingdom Returns (heraldry) (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

> Poster: teufel <teufel@erols.com>

>         I beg for help from the good people of the Merry Rose.  I would like
> to thank the Lady Rhiannon Ui Neill for going out of her way to post the
> Heraldic lists.  It has helped my knowledge of heraldry considerably, and I
> have found the discussions edifying.
>         But.
>         Could some of the Heralds (amateur or pro) explain to me how there
> is a conflict between the following charges?
>
> >Poster: Beverly Robinson-Curry <corvus2@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
> >
> >For those without web access (or ability), here are returns from the June
> >Atlantian LOI meeting...
> >
> >Mathaeus Blades - device
> >Azure, on a plate a lion rampany contourny purpure.
> >This is being returned for conflict with Azure, a plate charged with a
> >cauldron and a domestic cat in its curiosity sable.  Rhithyn yr Gwlad yr
> >Hav, SCA. There is a CD for the changes to the charges on the roundel but no
> >others.
> >
>         HUH?  By my calculations, there is more than two points of
> difference between the two devices.  Are my calculations wrong here?  And,
> as a fighter, it passes my primary test, being able to tell the difference
> between the two shields from across the battlefield.
>         I was just gearing up to submit a new badge, and this has thrown a
> monkey wrench into my confidence of it passing.

The reason's pretty simple. Depending on the size of the roundel
(in this case, a roundel argent=white dot) the stuff on the
roundel can range from clearly distinguishable to all-but-frou-
frou. Since the purpose of heraldry is to identify individuals,
the fact that the stuff on the roundel can be tiny means that it
ranks pretty low on the scale of things one can do to make one
coat of arms different from another coat of arms.

On a slightly more technical level, I recommend that you go down
to your local herald or library and read the section of Fox-
Davies on the practice of cadencing. On a more technical level,
hunt around for a copy of Robt. Gayre's Heraldic Cadency.

Pedro de Alcazar, AoA
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Pursuivant Extraordinary and Junior Minion
Or, six Castles Vert within a Bordure Gules Bezantty
--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com