Re: Info on Practices

Poster: Dan Mackison <DanM@skantech.com>

Unicorn977@aol.com wrote:

> Poster: Unicorn977@aol.com
>
>      I live in charleston,SC. We have practice once a week on Sundays if our
> Marshall isn't busy.

I know this isn't a true solution (there really is no substitute for
actually fighting) but, get yourself a whiffle bat and a copy of Duke
Gyrth's book on fighting with a sword and shield and the SCA fighter's
handbook.

Practice the advise from the books with the whiffle bat swinging it
SLOWLY and softly until the whiffle bat seems heavy in your hands. The
reason you use a whiffle bat is so you can keep this up longer than if
you were using a "real" sword. The reason you swing slowly is to correct
any errors that would be disguised from your attention by speed.
The key to this technique is to do all the maneuvers CORRECTLY. Bend
your knees, turn your body the correct way, and raise that imaginary
shield properly.

Thomas
Who only occasionally manges to sound like he knows what he is talking
about.
--
| Dan Mackison                          | Occasionally   |