Re: rayon

Poster: Michael and MJ Houghton <herveus@access.digex.net>

Howdy!

> Poster: Kat & Christoph Hintze <chhintze@bmd.clis.com>
>
> Miri writes,
>
> >Rayon works ok for garb in terms of comfort since it is composed of natural
> >fibres, but I do agree that the synthetics are a poor choice- they trap
> >heat and don't wick away sweat like cotton, silk, or wool do.
> >
> Cool!  I didn't know that - I thought rayon was synthetic.  What fibers is
> it composed of?

Rayon is made by dissolving cellulose (cotton) in a nasty solvent and
squirting it through tiny holes to make a new fiber. It is synthetic in that
the actual fibers are manufactured, but unlike most synthetic fibers,
the raw stuff is slightly modified natural fibers rather than miscellaneous
molecules strung together to make a new polymer, like nylon or poly-x.

yours,
Michael Houghton