Re: rayon

Poster: Debbie Halstead <djh3a@onyx.pvcc.cc.va.us>

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Kat & Christoph Hintze wrote:

> Poster: Kat & Christoph Hintze <chhintze@bmd.clis.com>
>
> Miri writes,
>
> >Rayon works ok for garb in terms of comfort since it is composed of natural
> >fibres, but I do agree that the synthetics are a poor choice- they trap
> >heat and don't wick away sweat like cotton, silk, or wool do.
> >
> Cool!  I didn't know that - I thought rayon was synthetic.  What fibers is
> it composed of?
>
> Lady Kat, who learns something new every day.....

Well, sort of. There were 3 types of rayon originally -- the two you can
find these days are viscose rayon and acetate rayon. They both start off
with cellulose fibers -- they used to use cotton "linters," the little
bits of cotton that were left over & were waste. They can also make rayon
out of wood pulp. The cellulose fibers are dissolved in a chemical
(different chemicals depending on which type of rayon you're talking
about) and forced through spinerets to create strands, and then put into
another chemical bath to solidify the strands. Chemically, the end result
is identical to cotton. The differences between acetate rayon and viscose
rayon are merely how the fibers are precipitated out, and how they react
to chemicals, heat, etc. For example, acetate rayon tends to melt, whereas
viscose rayon tends to catch fire. (thanks to my mundane dad for the use
of his 80-odd years of chemistry and textile knowledge.)

Jebbie Do

Debbie Jo Halstead, Manager	* DISCOUNT THEATER PASSES GOOD AT ANY
Regal Cinemas' Greenbrier Twin	* REGAL CINEMA AVAILABLE IN BLOCKS OF
375 Greenbrier Drive		* 100 @ $4.25 PER TICKET. DELIVERABLE
Charlotteville, Virginia 22901	* ANYWHERE. E-MAIL FOR DETAILS.