Re: [Mid] Bardic Challenge at Pennsic

Poster: rmhowe <magnusm@ncsu.edu>

Forwarded By M.Magnus Malleus from another email list:
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 21:50:11 +0000
From: "William T. Fleming" <gorp@erols.com>
To: sca-middle@dnaco.net
Subject: [Mid] Bardic Challenge at Pennsic

My heartfelt salutations to the most worthy and noble bards of the Known
World,

       I, Ruaidhri an Cu, the King’s Bardic Champion of the East, have
placed
before the bards of the Midrealm and their allies a challenge.  As the
fighters of their kingdoms match their strength and valor against the
peerless warriors of the East Kingdom and our allies, let their bards
come and match wits with myself and those of my comrades who will join
me.
       After some discussion with other bards from various kingdoms, I
propose
the following format for three contests, which shall take place on three
separate occasions.
Bards shall pass from the first round of each contest by popular acclaim
and from the second to the third round by receiving the vote of at least
one of five judges (chosen before each contest begins).  The victor of
the third round shall be chosen by general approbation of the audience.

   1) The first contest shall be in music.
       A) In the first round, each bard shall perform a piece of period
vocal
          or instrumental music.
       B) In the second round, each bard shall perform an original piece
of
          vocal or instrumental music in period style.
       C) In the third round, each bard shall perform a piece of
improvised
          vocal or instrumental music.

   2) The second contest shall be in spoken word.
       A) In the first round, each bard shall perform a period tale or
poem.
       B) In the second round, each bard shall perform an original tale
or
          poem in period style.
       C) In the third round, each bard shall perform an improvised tale
or
          poem.

   3) The third contest shall be in performance.
       A) In the first round, each bard shall perform a skit, dance,
juggling
          act, etc.
       B) In the second round, each bard shall perform a different skit,
dance,
          juggling act, etc.
       C) In the third round, each bard shall perform still one more
different
          skit, dance, juggling act, etc.

       If any of you have any comments or querries, please contact me
before
August 7th.  What needs to yet be settled is where and when to hold the
competitions.

Your friend and servant,

Ruaidhri an Cu
From:  "William T. Fleming" <gorp@erols.com>