History of a SCAdian

Poster: bribow@erols.com

How did I get started?

    Well back in about 1983 when I was at Washington University I
stumbled upon the SCA for the first time.  The group advertised contra
dancing in the pub, public welcome.  I had studied English contra dancing
at my previous college and was anxious to become involved again.  So, I
went.  The people were friendly and the music devine.  I went to a few
more.  I managed to hook up with a few people who dragged me to an event
in Kansas City (I believe that was the place).  Due to my total lack of
sewing skills they lent me an outfit only 3 or 4 sizes too large.
(Apparently it was much to the men's liking since this allowed several
peeks that I would not usually authorize).  Unfortunately, the group I
came with abondoned me to the four winds.  Luckily I met some other nice
folks.  Unfortunatley they took offense to a lady being abandoned.  One
gentleman in particular decided that he should defend my honor. He was
very nice, I enjoyed his company over time but this was a bit much for me
and I never returned to the group.
   Flash to the future.  The year is 1996.  I was talking to a friend
before a meeting was to begin at work.  I casually mention that my
husband and I were thinking of taking up fencing together so that we
could have a weekly activity together without the kids.  She gets excited
and tells me that a woman who works with us is very into this group
called the SCA.  I say, "oh." and leave it at that.  Then that very nice
woman brings me some info.  The best thing about this info was that
lessons were free.  Hey! That fit my budget.  We talked and the Baronness
of Bright Hills explained the when and wherefores.  I rush home, tell my
husband, who tells my brother in-law and then the next thing I know we
are at a Friday night practice.  After much re-arranging of work
schedules we get to Monday night practices (more fencing).  Now, we are
going as much as possible.  It is very addicting.
  Personaes...hmmm.  Well being newbies we started early and are working
our way up.  At heart we are interested in the Rennisance to Elizabethan
era (what else with fencers, yea?!).  But, sewing continues to be a
problem (see sewing for hire).  We both have always loved history, so
researching a time period is not an issue, we have been reading history
for decades.
  The more important issue is what about our children?  We have a five
year old and two and a half year old.  Our five year old is involved.
She announced last year that she wanted to meet a prince and that she is
a princess.  We then went to Highland River Forde Melee's where Milady
Franca's son was dressed as a prince.  They had a ball playing in the
stream. That clinched her decision, when my daughter grows up she wants
to be Queen Elizabeth.