Re: atlantia V1 #429

Poster: Henry Best <jstrauss@poboxes.com>

> > >How about having a University at a site that includes lodging so that we
> > >don't have to fork over $92 bucks plus gas & meals for the two (or even 4)
> > >of us to attend an event that doesn't even have a court or revel?  I can
> > >take a 6-session stained glass class here at the Adult Extension Service for
> > >less than half that, and that includes the materials fee! ----Eadwyn
>
> Hmm, last time there was a University here in Kberg we had a dessert & dance
> revel afterwards, and every time we have one in North Carolina it seems we
> have for something of the sort - I think Drachentor's had space for both
> dancing and bardics.  KA&S (I know, it isn't University, but I think it was
> every bit as cool as one) had a dance afterwards.  Certainly the first and
> third of those had public postrevels at peoples' homes.
>
> Does the rest of the kingdom just not know how to party?
>
> <big grin>
>
> And, seriously, as another poster said, there is ALWAYS crash space.
> That was a lynchpin of our last University bid, and will be prominently
> featured in our next (when that glorious day comes).
>
> Giovan Falconieri

When I was running University, I was pretty fanatic about making it cheap
and accessible. For a group to host UA, I wanted buckets of crash space. I
made the site payment of $5 OPTIONAL. All you had to do to getin free was
not pay. (Deirdre has lowered that $5 suggested donation to a piddling
$3, last I looked.) I got groups to serve lunch at cost.

So, it is theoretically possible to attend UA for the cost of gas money.
You can give rides to folks and get them to chip in. You can walk in the
door and take classes for free if you are too poor to pay. You can bring
your own food in an ice chest (and you would still have to eat if you
stayed home).

$92.00? You don't know how to live cheaply.

Giovan's group, K'berg, was the archetypical host for UA. They pulled out
all the stops, served an excellent cheap lunch, and NO ONE was turned away
for crash space, no matter what. And the on-site revel afterwards was
pretty wild, with a BIG live band, dancing, food, and what have you,
all for free. That was possibly the best UA I ever held and it was all
K'berg's fault.

-Henry

       John Strauss             |    Dr. Henry Best, OP
       Lexington, KY            |    Dragonsmark, Midrealm