Angevin Nitpicking (silly)

Poster: "Erica Stark" <ejstark@hotmail.com>

>Poster: einar@cvn.net (einar)
>
>At 01:07 AM 9/13/97 EST5EDT, you wrote:
>>
>>Poster: Christoph or Sherry Hintze <chhintze@bmd.clis.com
>>>Who said "Who will rid me of this troublesome priest?"
>>>1. Bryce de Byram
>>>2. Niall Dolphin
>>>3. Robin Griffaud
>>>4. Henry II of England
>>
>>#4, of course.  And for bonus points, who WAS "this troublesome
priest"....?
>>Kat, who has had WAY too little sleep....
>

><chuckle>  St. Thomas a Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury at the time
>of his martyrdom.  Used to be Henry's chancellor...  makes for an
>interesting parallel:  Henry VIII and Sir Thomas More, who was also a
>chancellor, and one-time friend of H. Tudor's.  At least More had a
>relatively clean beheading, instead of being hacked to death like
>Becket was. I'm sure John schemed similar things about Langton, but
>that archbishop was safely on the Continent...
>
>Elen Prydydd
>
>who's getting into comparative history these days...

I hate to nit-pick, but I believe "Thomas a Becket" was a form of the
name first used by seventeenth century antiquarians, and thus--- Out Of
Our Period.  The real name was  "Becket, Thomas Becket"  <cue music-
theme from Monty Pythons' "The Bishop">.

At least one of my books mentions Henry sending messengers to try and
intercept the knights and tell them he hadn't meant it...

Erica Poitevins