Re: Equestrian Information

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <longshipco@hotmail.com>

Julien de Montfort wrote:

>Our local group has been aproached by the local Equestrian Society,
>with a decided interest in possibly getting involved.  However, I've
>so far been unsuccessful in locating anything on Atlantian Equestrian
>Information or, for that matter, SCA Equestrian info.

There should probably be some information on the SCA marshal's page.
Also, the East Kingdom has an active Equestrian Guild.

Atlantia, to the best of my knowledge, has no organized equestrian
activity at all.  When I plowed through all the red tape to have ponies
at Emerald Joust 1996, there was little precedent for horses at events
here.

My housemate, Lady Ana Ilevna, is interested in an Equestrian guild
being started in Atlantia, and has spoken with other horse enthusiasts
who are also interested.  But AFAIK, there is nothing official or
organized.

We are in the middle of moving from Caer Mear to Bright Hills and until
I buy a house and we move into it, she won't be able to devote energy to
equestrian.

I think the procedure is for the Earl Marshal of Atlantia, and the King
and Queen to agree that an Equestrian Marshal is a Good Thing (tm),
appoint one, have that person acquire the equestrian regulations from
the SCA equestrian marshal (regulations just approved at the last BoD
meeting) and begin implementing them.

The last time I looked at the draft equestrian regulations, they were
idiotic.  Requiring, amongst other things, that to maintain one's status
as an equestrian Marshal, one had to attend the last two equestrian
events on one's kingdom.  Meaning that one had to attend EVERY
equestrian event in one's kingdom.

That was back at 3YC in '96.  I trust that particular requirement was
changed for the final regulations.

There is an SCA equestrian mailing list.  I don't have the address but
information should be somewhere at "www.sca.org".

If you're interested in general medieval horsey information, The
Markland Medieval Mercenary Militia, based in Maryland, also has a horse
guild.

Lady Ana's e-mail address, which she checks sporadically, is
"longshipco@compuserve.com".

Regards!

   - Anarra Karlsdottir