Re: T-day in the SCA...

Poster: Franca E Gorraz <francagorraz@sprintmail.com>

Dave Montuori wrote:

> Poster: Dave Montuori <damont@wolfstar.com>
>
> > YKYAISCA (You Know You Are In Sca) when
> > discussing the Thanksgiving menu you intend to say that a certain
> > vegetable is not in season, but you say 'it is not in preiod'...
> >
> > And, YKYHKYAISCA (You Know Your Husband Knows You Are In SCA) when
> > said non-scadian husband -understands- you.. and looking rather
> > bewildered says 'but...but.. but.. Thanksgiving is -not- period, right?'
>
> (smirk) Good one.
>
> However, since the point has come up...
> Of course T-giving as we know it isn't period. Continuous English
> settlement in the Western Hemisphere isn't period. It should not, however,
> be difficult to find period harvest-home festivals that closely resemble
> the early-colonies Thanksgivings in concept and structure (though the food
> and guest list certainly would differ).
>
> Safe travel and happy gatherings to all.
> Evan

It would seem so...but, on the other hand, I cannot think of a single
'harvest celebration' that resembles Thanksgiving in the Italian
tradition. Of course, moments like the gathering of grapes, and teh
weath or corn harvest used to end in a village 'party', often with
dancing and musicians coming from the nearby towns, bringing with them
plenty of youngsters looking for mates beyond the borders of their own
place: my own gradmother used to tell me about the 'veillaa', the
evening/night gathering, in the warmest stable, of all the village women
and men.. with story-telling, laughing, flirting etc...but it was more
out of a sense of relief for the big job being over with no mishaps:
I can find -no- sense of gathering to give thanks and praise.
In literature, images of harvest are plentiful, both realistic and as
metaphors, either positive or negative, but again, I can't think of a
'Thanksgiving Day' per se, connected to the harvest and common to all
social strata.

I will check my sources, though, as I could have forgotten.  But,
-after- tomorrow!

Eleonora, off to check on pie number 4...