Re: *WH* Period Irish Names

Poster: Marybeth Lavrakas <lavrakas@email.unc.edu>

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Christoph Hintze wrote:

> Poster: Christoph Hintze <chhintze@bmd.clis.com>
>
> To all the Good Gentles of the List
>
> I am looking for period references to actual Irish and English mixed names,
> especially English first names mixed with Irish last names.  We need this
> for the documentation of a good gentle's name submission.
>
> In advance many thanks
>

> In Service,
> Lord Christopher Storme of Kintail
> Rapier Marshal for Cathanar, Atlantia
> Scholar of the Atlantian Acadimie d'Espee

What exactly do you mean by "Irish" last names?  If you mean Gaelic names
in period Gaelic spelling, then the English first name would not have a
standard "English" spelling, but a Gaelicized one.  If, however, you are
willing to accept a period Anglicized spelling of an Anglo-Norman or
Gaelic Irish last name, then getting a documentable first name is no
problem.  And if the Heralds sqauk I can throw all seven volumes of the
Annals of the Four Masters at them! ;-)

Which, by the way, I own, and it's a great starting place for Irish names
of all varieties, with the Irish and English versions of the text on
facing pages.  May be that someone else has a handier reference.

And if you need to know the difference between Anglo-Norman and 'mere'
Irish names, send me an email.

Kathryn Rous
Kappellenberg