Re: On Courtesy Classes

Poster: "Stephanie M. Thorson" <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998 Izofgold@aol.com wrote:

> VIVAT! VIVAT! VIVAT!
>
> Now along with this, what ever happend to people being escorted into court?
> Or how about the dropping of weapons before approaching the thrones,
> etc...these mannerisms too have gone astray.

Ectually, <quoth I, waxing British> escorting people into court is *not* a
long standing tradition in the SCA, and to my knowledge it is also not
particularly widespread.  We had a discussion about this here in the Rose
some time ago, and there was no consensus that escorting people was a
completely courteous thing to do, at least at all time and in all places.

Personally, I don't care much about being escorted into court, although I
have seen it done quite prettily ... I'm not called into court often
enough to feel strongly about it.  (I think the last time was AS XXIX when
I received my Blue Collar from Their Excellencies of Bright Hills).
However, it did bother me when I dropped a quantity of stuff in the front
vestibule at 12th Night and had to get down on hands and knees to pick it
up while all around me chatted away.  It also bugged me that the only way
I could get through a crowd of people in a passageway while clutching my
brand-new harp in my arms was to shout "Harp coming through!"  because no
one was listening to "Excuse me, please."

Alianora