Re: escorts

Poster: "Erica Stark" <ejstark@hotmail.com>

E-Lady@worldnet.att.net (Elizabeth Orwig)wrote:

>This string has perplexed me.
>
>In the 7 years I have been in the Society (or more maybe now, I quit
>counting), I have been called into court a total of 3 times.
<snip>
>In all those times, and in all the courts  I rarely witnessed this
>practice of escorting unless it was for something like a peerage
>elevation.
>
>No one ever offered. Even my lord at that time all those years never
>offered to escort me, but then again, I never saw the need......
>
>I wonder if this is a Kingdom-related practice, or just something not
>done in the areas West of the Mississippi.?
>
>Enlighten me?
>
>thanks, Erzebet

It seems to be an Atlantian tradition. It certainly wasn't a Midrealm
one.  As far as I can tell, it's derived from Southern customs, at least
I've noticed that the North Carolina & South Carolina folks seem to
accomplish it with far more grace (okay, the rapier folk are good at as
well).  As with many Southern customs, I find it charming when well
done, but tiresome when clumsily imitated.

Erica Poitevins