Re: Recognition of deserving gentles, a further look

Poster: "Beverly Robinson-Curry" <corvus2@worldnet.att.net>

Jonathan asked for me to clarify:

> Point 2.  If I understand correctly, doesn't the Heraldate already have a
> similar system in place?  Granted, not many of us know what the ranks and
> titles are (but I'm sure Rhiannon will correct that [that's yer cue,
honey
> ;>])

Thanks, darlin'!

We do have a ranking system in place, based upon level of knowledge,
service, experience, etc.  At times I have toyed with the idea of
standardized testing for the upper ranks, but that's one of those "when I
get extra time" things and the extra time has never materialized...

So, for those who might have interest, here are the ranks:

Cornet herald - herald-in-training or entry-level herald
Pursuivant Extraordinary herald - displays a basic working knowledge of
heraldry
Pursuivant herald - displays good, solid knowledge of heraldry and medieval
style
Titled Pursuivant herald - extra "atta-boy" for a baronial herald whose
service has 	exceeded norm expected
Herald - highest level of heraldic knowledge and skill

Note that all but the last use a small "h", which is the default.  A
capital "H" designates a rank and not just the job.

Since heralds are not warranted for only 2-year terms and sometimes serve
for the entire term of their SCA career, this also serves to bring
recognition to their work from their heraldic peers.  Sometimes those
atta-boy's can keep us from losing a good herald who thinks no one ever
notices the work they do.

Lady Rhiannon ui Neill
Triton Principal Herald
House Corvus, Sacred Stone