Re: Hose, points and doublets

Poster: Thomas Hudson <hudson@cs.unc.edu>

Seigneur Julien writes:

> Certain types of late period hose were constructed as a single
> garment (as opposed to independent leg pieces), and secured by means
> of 'points' to a close-fitting garment worn on the torso.  That much I
> got.
>
> However, I am in a bit of a quandry as to what that 'close-fitting
> garment' *is*.  Not knowing the terminology, I'll call it a "CFG".
>
> Anyway, it appears that the hose was tied to the CFG by means of
> points.  However, I've seen period illustrations showing people
> wearing the hose connected to an upper garment directly, and others
> where there are no visible means of attaching the hose, which leads me
> to believe either that:
>
> A) the garment depicted without points is actually the CFG, but the
> artists have decided not to show the points for whatever reason, or
>
> B) the garment shown without points actually is a seperate garment,
> worn over the CFG (to which the points and hose are attached, and
> thereby not visible in the illustration).  If this is the case, where
> does the shirt fit in?  Is it worn over the CFG but under the outer
> garment, or is it worn under the CFG itself...?

Ser Juilen,

Around 1500, in Venice, there was a tight vest worn over the shirt and under
the doublet called (if I remember correctly) the zupon (probably jupon
or something similar in mainland dialect) to which the hose were tied.

Source:  "The Dress of the Venetians, 1495-1525";  I can find the author
if anybody's interested.  A frustratingly interesting book (lots of text,
not enough illustrations for we poor sewing-impaired souls)

Giovan Donato
Kappellenberg, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia