Papal Infallibility

Poster: ginevra@bellsouth.net

Marybeth Lavrakas wrote:

> Ack...I just can't restrain myself!  the pope has only spoken 'infallibly'
> once, and that was in the 1950s (the doctrine was established in the
> 1890s, though--I think). the topic was the assumption of Mary, by the way.

Actually the doctrine of Papal Infallibility was "passed" on July 18 1870
under tremendous pressure from the laity, who needed a source of religious
security due to increasing hardships in the changing world.   The doctrine
has strict guidelines under which the Pope can declare something ex
cathedra, mostly because the Pope did like this doctrine and didn't want to
encourage its abuse.  Thus it has only been declared once.

Ginevra