Re: Their Majesties...

Poster: James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain <alasdair.maciain@snet.net>

Saith Gorm of Berra <gormofberra@erols.com>:
>Picture if you will receiving your Award of Arms.  This may be the only
>time you are ever called into Court.  It may well be the finest moment
>in your SCA experience.  You want that moment to be perfect.  Now,
>picture only one of the two royals being present.  Particularly if the
>one that inspires you more isn't the one there.  That could very well
>lessen what is your one moment "in the sun".

Eh?  When I received my AoA (two years ago, at the Marinus/Tir-y-Don
Interbaronial Twelfth Night), Royal court was conducted by Her Majesty.  It
didn't bother me at all that his Majesty wasn't present.  (Actually, the
main thing I felt was shock at being called in in the first place.... 8) )
I've been to several events, both in Atlantia and in the East, which were
attended by only half the Royal couple, either because one of them was
unable to attend, or because they had decided to attend separate events
that day.  Never heard any complaints about the idea....  No-one seems to
complain if a Baron or Baroness needs to take time off to deal with
children - why shouldn't the Royals also have that right?

>It sounds to my untrained ears as if their Majesties are planning on
>doing this again.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit, as this is Michael's seventh time on the throne
of Atlantia (plus once in the East), and Seonaid's fifth (I think).  What I
thought they were saying, though, was that this situation would arise with
other Royalty in the future, as well as with themselves.  Or are you
suggesting that no-one with children be permitted to fight (or be fought
for) in Crown?

And what of Princesses who become pregnant before their coronation?  In the
last four years, Luned (Atlantia) and Caitlin (East) have given birth
during their reigns.  If the onset of labour occurs during an event, must
they wait til after feast and court before leaving for hospital?  (Can't
pass that off as a sudden, unexpected illness - they've had plenty of
warning. 8) )

Slainte -

Alasdair mac Iain

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie, Barony Beyond the Mountain
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and in chief two
mullets sable