A&S competition v. display

Poster: "Mari Stewart" <stewart@faculty.law.duke.edu>

Greetings all...
	Good questions...

1. Ideal Venue?   -  for me that is a casual teaching &  learning
environment.   I can  and have taught classes ( and will again at
University, y'all come) but I am much better in a small group where
everyone is sharing ideas and information.

2. To go out of my way to Enter?  -  That would take either, 1.
something so totally spiff I couldn'tlivewithoutit... (and there
aren't many things in that category) or 2. a great opportunity to
talk to other artisans/ get feedback/ or learn from people who know
more and do better work.

3. Competition v. Display?   -  For me display is the only way to go.
 I find that my ego can deal with the same criticism much better if
it is only in a display situation.   Also, apples and oranges is one
of the aspects of competition that I will point to... And with some
of my stranger items, I think display is a much better time to
educate people than competition.

4. Prizes?  -   see 2.   For me (I know some people might find this
sappy) good direction, constructive criticism, or a new place to look
for resources is the best prize.

5. Theme? Topic? Display Method? Type of Event?  -  Big question!
Theme -  Yes I like themes, at times.... in the regard that generally
they help you group the apples with more similar apples.  Or they
help you investigate one culture more thoroughly.
Topic - see theme.
Display Method -  I like to see items in use... whether golf clubs,
chess boards, or clothing... don't just let it sit there, show us how
it works and moves.
Type of event - see theme.

6. Documentation -  YES!  Allow me to explain... well sum up...
I like documentation in all shapes and sizes.   From the simple 3x5
card up to the dissertaiton.   Teach me, prove me wrong, find
something new to look at, break new ground, and show me how you did
it.  For me the SCA is a place to revive the lost arts so I love it
when someone teaches me something old, that is totally new to me.

7. Comments  -  By all means do comment.  But please, be gentle.
You're lookin' at my baby there.  Something I have labored and
sweated over for hours on end... Don't just tell me it's homely, I
probably already know that, but do tell me where I can look for
better sources, or other sources that may contradict what I know, or
expand my knowledge.  If you know a better way to do something... ask
me if I tried it by doing X.    I want the feed back good or not...
it all goes to learning more.

I particularly like displays where small tokens are given in
recognition of the artisans work.  I always try to do the rounds with
_something_ to leave for those who impress me.  Impressing me is not
limited to the drop dead georgous coat of plate made by a Laurel in
armouring,  I've given tokens to people who are experimenting in new
fields, learning something new themselves, improvement in a gentles
work, and yes to those absolutely fabulous items that just knock my
socks off.

There's lots more to share, but I gotta go.
Take care all
Bridgette Kelly MacLean
The MacLean of Atlantia

who has moved yet again.  That's 5 times in a year and a half, I'm
gaining on your record Lyanna.

Mari Stewart

I'm lost, but I'm making record time