Awards and all

Poster: jsrechts@imap.unc.edu

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Date: 	Fri, 17 Apr 1998 12:27:39 -0400
From: REAMESD1@westat.com (REAMESD1)
Subject: Please forward this to Merry Rose for me
To: jsrechts@imap.unc.edu

     To the Merry Rose Discussion Group,
     From Duchess Caterina de Forza d'Agro, OL,OP,LR,CP,CGD,AOA (for
those
     who were wondering)

     Good People, I do not subscribe to this list because it's too
     addicting.  Occasionally, when work is slow, I do read the
archives.
     I feel I must respond to this discussion on Recommendations.

     Baron Corun wrote:  "My question is, does the Crown entertain
letters
     of recommendation for other awards, such as Shark's Tooth, Yew Bow,
     Kraken, Silver Nautilus, QOC, KAE, Herring, Sea Urchin, Undine?
...It
     is my understanding, at this point, that these are just given out
at
     the discretion of the Monarchs. I ask this in order to know whether
     inclde these on the form. There's no sense in having people sending
in
     letters for, say an Undine, when it's given at the discretion of
the
     Queen."

     Yes, the Crown has and should entertain letters of recommendation
of
     ANY type.  ALL recognitions given to individuals by the Crown are
     "given at Their discretion."  Just because the King and/or Queen
have
     the final say in the matter doesn't preclude sending a
recommendation.
     Extra pairs of eyes are ALWAYS helpful.  Sometimes the closest
workers
     are overlooked.  A nudge from outside can help bring them into
focus.

     Next point.  It is not always necessary to specify which award or
     order you recommend for a worthy individual.  It is perfectly
     acceptable to write a letter describing their good deeds and close
     with "I leave it to Your Majesties to decide how best to reward
this
     person."  Always sing the praises, don't worry if you can't
categorize
     them.

     The BIGGEST problem with timely delivery of awards is getting name
     and face and deed recognition tied in for the powers involved.
There
     have been folks whose face I know, whose name I know, and whose
work I
     love but it never ALL clicked as being connected together for me
until
     they were up getting their Pearl.  How could I answer a polling for
     this person properly until I had all 3 things together in my
memory?

     Never underestimate the poor memory, but good intentions, of the
     Monarchs, the Principals, and the general population.

     What I would love at this point is flashcards with name and photo
on
     one side and list of accomplishments on the other!  Put that
together
     for your candidate and show it around at every opportunity and
watch
     how fast the tide changes.

     Encourage your artist friends to keep a portfolio of their work.
If
     they haven't been, start now.  Put a photo of the arist in the
front.
     Take photos of the work, compile documentation, etc. and put it in
     photo album.  Later on you can take that book to order meetings &
     events -- It's the big version of the FlashCard and it really
HELPS.
     (And encourage your non-artist friends to keep a journal of events
     attended, & work done, offices held, etc.)  No, people shouldn't
have
     to update and present a "resume" to get awards but as our
population
     keeps growing, it becomes the most efficient way to communicate
this
     important information quickly throughout the group.  Besides, like
all
     journals, it's pleasant for it's own sake to be able to look back
at a
     compiled body of work.

     OK there's my rant.  I could write a book on this topic and still
not
     answer all the questions.  And these aren't necessarily THE
answers.
     If you want to reply or continue this discussion with me, send
e-mail
     to REAMESD1@WESTAT.COM.  The above is the personal opinion of
Kitten
     Reames/Caterina.

     Sincerely, Caterina

     P.S. AND speaking officially as Laurel Principal:  ANYONE can
     recommend ANYONE else for the Laurel.  Send me an e-mail or post
(see
     the Acorn for address) and it automatically gets condensed and put
on
     the watch list and discussed at the next meeting.  BUT GIVE ME
FACTS
     and DETAILS, not just exuberance. Remember that Flash Card --
that's
     what I really long for.

     P.P.S. Never assume that the Monarchs passed your letter of
     recommendation along to the Principal of the Order involved.
Always
     send a separate copy to the Principal if you want that person to be
     added to the watch list.

-----End Of Forwarded Message -----