Re: Merlin - elements of the original legends

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Heather Swann wrote:

> Poster: Heather Swann <heather@pop.net>
>
> Wouldst mind pointing me in the direction of some of these earlier
> myths?  The earliest reference I've seen for her is Spenser or
> Shakespeare.....
>
> My humble thanks!
>
> Miri

Several of the Arthurian and proto-Arthurian legends appear in the
Mabinogion.  For those who aren't familiar with it, the Mabinogion is a
collection of Welsh myths and is 500-700 years pre-Shakespeare.  It is
also a very interesting read.

The Mabinogion is available in a number of popular translations these days
-- you can probably find it at Crown Books/Borders/whatever.

Dafydd ap Gwystl ap Llewelyn ap Cadwaladr ap Gwyl