some cutting of redundancy

S(>
S(>Poster: Logan & Arielle <sirlogan@mail.clt.bellsouth.net>
S(>
S(>Terry Buyers wrote:
S(>

S(>> J(>I would like comments on the following question, How long
S(>should
S(>> J(>we
S(>> J(>allow someone to use their previous authorization card after
S(>they
S(>> J(>move
S(>> J(>into Atlantia from another kingdom?
S(>> J(>

S(>
S(>The question here is how long until we require that fighter to
S(>show that he/she
S(>understands how to do it in Atlantia.  Being familiar with the
S(>fighting
S(>conventions in one kingdom doesn't make you familiar with them
S(>all.

As others have also commented, the conventions of Atlantia, other than pay to
play, are not that different from most kingdoms. A quick briefing and a
transfer of card rather than an expiration and reauthorization would seem to
serve the same purpose with less headache. (IMNSHO)

S(>>
S(>> As I understand fighter authorization, it is not a matter of how
S(>good you are,
S(>> but are you good enough to not be a hazard to yourself or others
S(>in typical
S(>> situations.

S(>Well almost.  When a fighter goes out for a weapon and shield (the
S(>safest form)
S(>authorization all we really look for is whether or not that
S(>fighter is safe, and
S(>that he understands the rules.  Now when it comes to all other
S(>weapons forms we
S(>look for a good command of that weapons form.  The fighter must
S(>show skill and
S(>proficiency with that weapon.  If not, and we let a fighter on the
S(>field with, for
S(>instance, a greatsword (potentially a very dangerous weapon) and
S(>no clue on how to
S(>use it, the risk of injury would be extremely high.  I certainly
S(>hope that you
S(>have not signed off on someone's pole weapon authorization simply
S(>because you felt
S(>they were safe although they didn't really know the weapon.
S(>Simply "good enough
S(>to not be a hazard to yourself or others in typical situations" is
S(>pretty close
S(>but I don't think it's quite there.

I think we differ on semantics here and nothing more - although I do disagree
that sword and board is the safest style. I've had to deal with more than one
spiral fracture of an arm where a war fighter tripped and fell over his
shield. A shield punch is just as big a hazard as going for the center field
fence with a greatsword.

S(>
S(>>
S(>>
S(>>
S(>>
S(>> One who is good at the physical side of fighting (and some other
S(>'simple'
S(>> stuff) becomes a belted fighter. Is this then to be revoked due
S(>to age or
S(>> infirmity? Will all awards go away with a move or a lapse of
S(>membership?
S(>>
S(>>
S(>
S(>Now I am not sure just what the above statement is supposed to
S(>mean.  If you
S(>believe that to become a "belted" (Knight?) fighter requires that
S(>one be "good at
S(>the physical side of fighting and some other 'simple' stuff", then
S(>you really have
S(>no clue.  I wish you all the luck in your endeavors but would
S(>suggest that you
S(>find out a little more about subjects prior to speaking on them.

Tongue goes firmly in cheek here. <g>

S(>
S(>As to the second part of your last statement:
S(>Again you need to understand something before you speak.
S(>Knighthood is not an
S(>"award", it is simply the recognition of someone who has proven
S(>himself to possess
S(>the qualities of a Knight.  I am not about to start a discussion
S(>via e-mail as to
S(>what those qualities are.  You can't revoke the recognition of who
S(>someone is.
S(>Same thing goes for awards.  If a person has done the service to
S(>have earned an
S(>Award of Arms, and it has been granted by the Crown, then that
S(>person is
S(>nobility.  That person has been recognized as a "noble person".
S(>That can not be
S(>taken away from them (barring a banishment).

Ah, yes... we remember the adventures of Duke Running Bull...

what I was going for, is a safe fighter is a safe fighter; that doesn't change
with a move or passing time in most cases - and probably should have
emoticonned the comment about knighthood a bit. A painless transfer of
'authorization' recognizes that this doesn't usually change, no more than any
other award (probably should have used 'accolade' for knighthood).

 To get anywhere, you have to play by the rules - for example, a face hit here
requires a bit more force than some other kingdoms - but it doesn't take long
to transfer that information. A simple sheet of comparative rules, "Oh, so
you're from Murradeez, you need to know that..." would do the trick.

I guess as one that predates the entire authorization process, I see it as one
more symptom of the 'Society for Compulsive Authority'. Fighting is not the
major bane to our insurance. Authorization serves what purpose towards our
insurance and liability that a 'universal warrant' would not? Something that
makes note of a fighter's risk and liability, and that those qualified to
judge have observed the individual, and estimate him to be of sound enough
mental state to understand the risks inherent in the game... perhaps coupled
with a pair of beginner's tourneys and a melee or two to demonstrate safe
behavior on the field. In other words, issue a 'learner's permit', than a
warrant as a fighter in the same way we have offices with deputies and
assistants all the way up to a kingdom level position.

I don't think that would be an ideal situation, but I also don't think the
repeat authorizations and pay to play are ideal either. When marshalling, I
tend to be extremely strict in matters of deportment and intent, and not all
that hard on fault of personal technique that don't involve safety issues. I
don't see this as a violation of either a chivalraic ideal or
corporate/kingdom safety rules.

					Taras

---
 * PowerAccess 1.50 It is hard to fly with the eagle when you work with the
turkey.