Re: Help (fwd)

Poster: Diane Stevens <nolarec@hwy5.net>

Corun MacAnndra wrote:

> Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>
>
> > I would suggest Bulfinch's Mythology. I think the old workhorse
> > has something on Gaelic legends, and it certainly does on
> > Welsh-my first introduction to the Mabinogion comes from it.
>
> Why not just read the Mabinogion. There are any number of editions out
> there. I recall a series of modern adaptations to those stories and I
> just can't recall the author. She wrote four books; The Island of the
> Mighty, Rhiannon, Annwn, and I forget the fourth (or maybe there were
> only three, it's been so long ago since I read them). They were pretty
> good reads as I recall. These were taken right out of the Mabinogion
> and relate the stories of Mananan mac Llyr, Rhiannon, Annwn, Prydari
> and the other various god figures of Wales/Ireland. You should be able
> to find them in a well stocked library.
>
> In service,
> Corun

Lord Corun:

I believe the author of the books you refer to which retell the Mabinogi
is Evangeline Walton, and they are indeed a good read.  (Although not
quite so good if you are trying to get a real flavor for the language
and patterns of the Welsh language as reading an exact translation of
the Mabinogi which is also available).  If anyone is feeling really
brave, I even have a couple of the Mabinogi in Middle Welsh.  By the
way, all my Welsh & Celtic professors told me that the correct version
of the tales is called Mabinogi not Mabinogion.  Don't flame me...I'm
just repeating what the scholars in that field that I have known say.

Wales Forever! (And in service to Atlantia)

Luned