Re: [Fwd: Fw: Virus ! ! ! ! !]

Poster: Kevin of Thornbury <kevin@maxson.com>

Corun MacAnndra wrote:

> WARNING!!!! THIS IS A HOAX!!!! DO NOT PASS THIS ON TO ANYONE!!!!!
>
> This is yet another variation of the legendary Good Times Virus. The
> warning itself is the alleged "virus". For more information on urban
> legends in general and net hoaxes specifically (like the 90# scam that was
> recently posted here), go to http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/mbody.htm

Actually, the 9-0-# warning is true.  You can read about it at
http://www.att.com.  Search for "9-0-#".  However, that tactic only
affects businesses with PBX systems.  And as much as that warning's been
going around, the danger has not increased with notoriety.

For the critical thinkers out there (those who don't pass along any
frantic warnings without verifying them themselves), an easier URL to
remember to check is http://www.snopes.com.  It also has the urban
legends there to read.

Please, folks.  Do not pass on warnings of any nature no matter who they
come from.  If you're worried about the risks mentioned therein, forward
it to me only, and I'll help you verify it.

_Many_ people do just this, and I don't mind.

In service to Atlantia and the Ethereal highway,
_____
 \_/   kevin@maxson.com   http://www.atlantia.sca.org