Re: sites

Poster: Nancy Davis <nancyad@mindspring.com>

Yes, Lyanna, the Boat Wars site is beautiful, but the infrastructure is
very poor. The hall is tiny, the kitchen is perfuntory, and the well/pump
has limited capacity(hence the porta-potties). Since BW is usually a small
event these are usually less of a problem. But twice as many people came
this year and we needed better infrastructure.

The Umstead Park site we used before hurricane Fran smashed it was good.
Hall ambiance was great, small though. Good kitchen, and cabins! But no
alcohol or merchants(State Park) and the gates close at 8:00PM.

I think most sites have trade-offs. You get most of what you want but it is
expensive. Or it is affordable but less than ideal. I agree that we need
more good sites.

Ysolt (Boat Wars autocrat)

At 02:46 PM 6/4/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Poster: jsrechts@imap.unc.edu
>

>It's slow so figure I'd throw in a conversation starter.
>
>A friend and I were discussing that  that the quality of the sites has
>become lower recently.
> What I mean is asethetic ambiance.  The site choices seem to harder to
>make SCA feel
>like we are escaping the 20th century for a day.
>Wall hangings only do so much afterall.
>
>An idea might be to try to look a little harder for sites that have a
>nicer feel.
>
>There are some beautiful sites out there.  Boat Wars for example was in
>a lovely spot
>but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule these  days.
>
>Comments?
>
>Lyanna

Nancy A. Davis
nancyad@mindspring.com