Re: a little history lesson

Poster: Gene Bonar <gbonar@auspex.com>

At 07:04 PM 6/10/98 EDT, you wrote:
><< I guess what bothered me the most was that Click and Clunk were being
> quoted as historical sources, and the thought of that was making my fingers
> itch. >>
>
>Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a Click and Clunk?

Ok Click and Clack, the Tappett Brothers, is a show of National Public
Radio.  This is a call-in show about cars.  Between them and their
researchers they have a vast amount of knowledge about cars.  If you have
any question concerning a car you can call them and chances are good that
one of them will be able to answer it off the top of their head.

<Personal Opinion>  I don't like them.  I find them to be rude and
flippant.  If you call in to ask a question, be prepared to be reticuled on
National Radio.  Furthermore, they seem to think every word that comes out
of their collective mouths is hilarious.  They laugh and giggle at the most
inane of comments. I listen to NPR almost continuously, so, unfortunately,
I run into them from time to time (no pun intended, really) <personal opinion>

So the story goes that they have as a regular feature of their show, a
trivia question, that may or may not relate to cars.  I don't know what the
question was but the answer appear to be the whole thing about pluck yew
and the finger.  As urban legends go this quickly spread.  As I pointed out
in an earlier posting, almost none of this story is true.  What really
bothered me was that anyone would quote Click and Clack as reliable
historical source.

Eógan mac Ailpein,    archer and baronial herald
Elvegast, Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia
mka Gene Bonar  919.772.1112  gbonar@auspex.com