Re: Of Kings and Queens and other such things

Poster: einar@cvn.net (einar)

Elen Prydydd writes:

At 10:53 AM 6/18/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Poster: Gorm of Berra <gormofberra@mindspring.com>
>Potential Drawbacks:
>
>4.  Could end up with a King and Queen who could not lead the Atlantian
>Army at Wars

Is that necessarily a problem?  During the Anarchy in England (12th
century), Henry I's daughter, the Empress Matilda could not lead armies in
the field, yet she had some good people to do that for her (her failure was
as much due to lousy PR as military might).  We could make a similar case
for Elizabeth I and the Spanish Armada incident.  She was no more capable
of captaining a ship than I am of programming a computer, but she had
excellent captains, a small and maneuverable fleet, and lousy weather to
help her.  Henry III couldn't win a single battle in Gascony, but his
brother-in-law Simon de Montfort could and did.  My point is that
sovereigns could appoint a war leader, a general if you will, for a
particular campaign, be it Pointless, Pennsic, Gulf Wars, what have you.

Elen Prydydd