Re: Of Kings and Queens [Pros and Cons, fair questions not yet seen]

Poster: einar@cvn.net (einar)

Elen Prydydd writes:

At 03:45 PM 6/18/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Poster: Bob Minowicz <minowicz@nc.na.auspex.com>
>
>Work on codifying the rules for all of this.  Questions that come to
>mind:
>
>Would it be allowed for a faction to back a claimant the whole war only
>to switch their support at the last minute to a different claimant?  In
>short, who is the owner of the points once they are won?  The claimant
>or the faction?  I think this is a detail that would be important to
>work out in advance.

This one requires serious thought.  I'll visit this one later in the day.

>What about mercenary groups?  Would it be allowed to have groups that
>had no claimant but could throw points won at events to the group that
>best courts them?  What types of things are fair or unfair practice in
>such courting?  Promises of awards and order membership, important
>posts, etc.?

*This* I would have some problems with.  Mercenary groups are all very well
and good, and very period.  *Small* bribes would be in keeping with the
intent of making this more period.  However, I think that it could prove
most unwise to promise awards, orders, posts and other such posts.  That
would be seen, I believe, as overly political, and would cause hard
feelings among those who see such awards as merit-based.  Now, if a given
mercenary performs exceptionally well, either distinguishing himself or
herself on the field or in the arts and sciences, then certainly an award
would be appropriate.  But to give them out just as an award for backing
the right horse would prove to raise lots of eyebrows.

Elen Prydydd

aka Mrs. Christianson