Re: Of Kings and Queens [Pros and Cons, fair questions not

Poster: "Nancy Dalton" <nancykd@ea.net>

On 19 Jun 98 at 7:10, einar wrote:
> Now, if a given
> mercenary performs exceptionally well, either distinguishing himself or
> herself on the field or in the arts and sciences, then certainly an award
> would be appropriate.  But to give them out just as an award for backing
> the right horse would prove to raise lots of eyebrows.

Ah, but how would you or anyone else watching the monarchs give the
award know the difference?  The difficulty is that this situation can
create the appearance of impropriety and that's all that's necessary
for whispers to start.

Whatever method is used for choosing a monarch (single combat, war
points, competitions, etc.) there will only be one winner.  If you're
trying to increase the entrants, then decreasing, rather than
increasing the requirements makes sense.  IMHO decisions by war
points will increase the requirements and reduce the number of
entrants.
 To throw another bone to the dog pack, there's only one
guaranteed non-biased/non-political way to choose a monarch: target
archery, either the arrow hits the target and bullseye or it doesn't.
Please note that I do not advocate changing the current system of
combat to decide monarchs.  But, if there had to be a change, then I
would be most in favor of the following proposal:
Each crown has one of the following tournaments:
Armored Combat, Fencing, Archery, A&S(yes, I agree it's tough to
judge, but if the system's being forced to change, for some reason,
this is always among the main ones that people want to add.)
These would be rotated on some basis, for example:
Fall Crown - Fencing
Spring Crown - Armored Combat
Fall Crown - A&S
Spring Crown - Archery
and then start the cycle over.
But the above suggestion would still leave one group disenfranchised,
the service sector.

Just my two pence,
Nancy Dalton
ska Earnwynn van Zwaluwenburg