Forwarded message:
Date:     Wed Jul 01, 1998 06:13 pm EDT
Source-Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 18:12:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:     stacey jill wahrman
          EMS: INTERNET / MCI ID: 376-5414
          MBX: wahrman@wam.umd.edu

TO:     * SUZANNE METZLER / MCI ID: 215-2178
Subject:  Re: The Virtues of Women.
Source-Msg-Id: <Pine.SOL.3.95q.980701174906.27315A-100000@rac8.wam.umd.edu>
U-X-Authentication-warning: rac8.wam.umd.edu: wahrman owned process doing -bs

Sue,

This is off the top of my head, so tell him to e-mail me if he wants
details on particualr editions or more stuff as I think of it (short on
time right now and in my office so I'm not looking at my bookcases):

Geoffre de la Tour Landry (1372)trans/ed. Caxton mid 1483., _The Book of
the Knight of the Tower_ --a text ostensisibly written for the Knight's
daughters on women's behavior

Boccaccio, _De Mulieribus Claris_ (Concerning Famous Women)
--Talks about particular historical women and what made them exceptional

Christine de Pisan (or Pizan, depending on editor), _The Book of the City
of Ladies_ and _ The Book of Three Virtues_ (also called _The Treasure of
the City of Ladies_), both 1405
--responds to some of the anti-female arguments (including Boccaccio and
Jean de Meun)

Jean de Meun, _The Roman de la Rose_ --one of the most famous, and most
vitriolic of the anti-female texts, supposed to be a celebration of
courtly love (yeah, right)

_Three Medieval Views of Women_ --edited collection on pro- and
anti-female texts produced by clergy

_The Babees Book_, ed. Eugene Vinaver --you'd need to go to the library
for this one (others are all available in paperback and still in print,
far as I know), but it's worth the trouble.  Early English Text Society
collection of writing for children on proper conduct (the most often
repeated warning is against nose-picking, I counted references once as an
undergrad).  Includes the short text "How the Good Wyf Taught Her
Daughter," an interesting picture of middle class mores.

For secondary texts the picking are slim, but I'd recommend Diane
Bornstein's (sp?) _the Lady in the Tower_ (on courtesy lit, specifically),
and anything by Alcuin Blamirez, esp. _Women Defamed and Women Defended_.

Hmm.  That might have been overkill, but it's a subject near and dear to
my heart.  like I said, always happy to elaborate and offer more
recommendations, but that's a good start :-)

Arianwen
m/k/a Stacey Wahrman
wahrman@wam.umd.edu

Forward original message: