questions about women in the middle ages

Poster: Becky McEllistrem <beckymc@MICROSOFT.com>

Someone ( I believe Philip Bell) was writing to ask for sources discussing
women in the middle ages and also about the 7 virtues, etc.

While going through my documentation for entries to the Kingdom Arts
Festival I realized an excellent source (if this hasn't been mentioned
already) is
The Goodman of Paris (Le Menagier de Paris).  It was written circa 1393.
I have the translation by Eileen Power.  The book is a discussion from an
elderly
gentle who married a very young wife and these are instructions to her.  The
first section is instructions "To Love God".  P.65 has an interesting part:

"And first follow the names of the failings you may confess when you have
erred
therein, and after them the virtues, in which henceforth you ought to
continue.

Pride is the sin, the opposite virtue is Humility.
Envy is the sin, the opposite virtue is Loving kindness.
Wrath is the sin, the oppositve virtue is Gentleness.
Sloth is the sin, the opposite virtue is Diligence.
Avarice is the sin, the opposite virtue is Generosity.
Glottony is the sin, the opposite virtue is Temperance.
Lechery is the sin, the opposite virtue is Chastity."

I bought it for the lists of menus and recipes but the "To Love God" section
is
very interesting reading.

Rebecca