Re: questions about women in the middle ages

Poster: "S. M. Thorson" <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Becky McEllistrem wrote:

> While going through my documentation for entries to the Kingdom Arts
> Festival I realized an excellent source (if this hasn't been mentioned
> already) is The Goodman of Paris (Le Menagier de Paris).  It was written
> circa 1393.

I think I did mention it under its French title.  (Goodman is not my
preferred translation for _menagier_, but that's another quibble). There's
also a partial translation titled "A Medieval Home Companion" by a woman
named ... argh, I can't remember.  Tania something I think, but that's yet
another of my books which is currently in storage.  This one has been
published rather more recently than Power's (late 1980s or early 1990s),
but does not include all the veterinary and culinary information.  All of
the moral instruction and advice on general household management is still
there, however.

Alianora